Our Firm has a long-standing reputation for having the leading private equity practice in the country. We advise our private equity clients on all aspects of their activities and operations, starting from fund formation, to structuring and making investments, to successfully exiting through the capital markets or strategic sales.
Over the last decade we have worked on substantially all of the CKD and FIBRA offerings in Mexico, and thereby taken a preeminent role in the emergence and development of the Mexican private equity fund community. Our unique value proposition and competitive advantage in private equity is built on the breadth of our M&A, capital markets, lending and tax practices.
Our clients include the full-specter of local and global funds, fund managers and limited partners, as well as local companies seeking to raise private equity financing.
Below is a list (which is organized in alphabetical order based on our client’s name) of selected matters which is intended to give a brief indication of our experience in the private equity sector:
- Counsel to AMB Property Corporation in the buy-out of GAcción, S.A. de C.V.
- Counsel to Apollo Management in all Mexican law aspects of its cross-border acquisition of Covalence Specialty Materials Corp., formerly the plastics and adhesives operation of Tyco International, including the asset acquisition of a maquiladora manufacturing facility located in Tijuana, B.C. and an equity interest in a Mexican subsidiary.
- Counsel to Bain Capital LLC in the acquisition of Apple Leisure Group operations in Mexico.
- Counsel to Bain Capital LLC in its acquisition of Sensata Technologies, Inc., formerly the sensors and controls business of Texas Instruments Inc., including the financing of such acquisition.
- Counsel to Bankers Trust / DB Capital Partners in the divesture of its 10% participation in Jugos del Valle, S.A. de C.V.
- Counsel to Black Creek in the negotiation and implementation of a private investment fund and related commitments for the development and operation of multifamily residential real estate assets in Mexico with funding from the Public Sector Pension Investment Board.
- Counsel to BlackRock Infrastructure in the acquisition of 100% of the shares of Tradeco Infraestructura, company owner of a penitentiary center located in the city of Ramos Arizpe, Coahuila, Mexico.
- Counsel to Cascade Investment LLC, the private investment arm of William Gates III, in the acquisition of the Four Seasons Resort Punta Mita and an adjacent 48-acre parcel of development land from Strategic Hotels & Resorts, Inc
- Counsel to Cerberus Capital Management in the acquisition of ABC Group Inc., one of the world’s leading full-service automotive suppliers of thermoplastic components and systems.
- Counsel to Cerberus Capital Management in the Chrysler acquisition and subsequent divestiture to Fiat spa.
- Counsel to Cerberus Capital Management in the execution of definitive agreements with Avon Products Inc., to drive enhanced focus on Avon´s international markets and revitalize Avon´s North American business.
- Counsel to Charlesbank Capital Partners in the acquisition of a controlling interest in Plaskolite Inc., including acquisition of 100% of the equity interests in Plaskolite, S. de R.L. de C.V., as a subsidiary of certain Plaskolite United States entities.
- Counsel to Discovery Americas I in the joint venture with Televisa, Inbursa and TACA, to establish a “green-field” low-cost airline, which operates under the tradename Volaris.
- Counsel to Discovery Americas I in its equity investment in Iké Asistencia, S.A. de C.V.
- Counsel to DLJ South American Partners LLC in the acquisition of an equity participation in the large publishing house Grupo Editorial Santillana.
- Counsel to Eton Park Capital in the leveraged acquisition of Kimberly-Clark Mexico’s industrial paper division.
- Counsel to Eton Park Capital Management in the sale to Grupo Bio Pappel, S.A. de C.V., shareholder of Bio Pappel, S.A.B. de C.V., of 60% of its interest in Grupo Papelero Scribe.
- Counsel to General Atlantic in its minority investment in Invekra, S.A. de C.V., the holding company of Laboratorios Sanfer.
- Counsel to GE Capital in the sale of its equipment lending and leasing business in Mexico to Linzor Capital Partners, a leading private equity firm that focuses on Latin American middle market investmets
- Counsel to Global Water Development Partners in a joint venture entered with Pemex that aims to invest in water treatment infrastructure projects
- Counsel to GP Investments in the acquisition of Pride.
- Counsel to GP Investments in the acquisition of Submarino.
- Counsel to GP Investments in the acquisition of Lokau.
- Counsel to shareholders of Infraestructura Institucional, in the sale of 100% of the equity interests in the two general partner entities in favor of BlackRock.
- Counsel to Latinidea Mexico Venture Capital Fund II, L.P. and Latinidea Ventures, LLC in the equity investment in Tecno Idea, S.A.P.I. de C.V.
- Counsel to Latinidea Mexico Venture Capital Fund II, L.P. and Latinidea Ventures, LLC in the equity investment in Screencast, S.A.P.I. de C.V.
- Counsel to Macquarie in the creation of its real estate investment trust known as Macquarie REIT, the largest FIBRA IPO in Mexican history, and in the acquisition of its initial portfolio.
- Counsel to Mexico Retail Properties in the sale to Fibra Uno of a portfolio comprising 49 retail properties, their corresponding management platform and other related assets.
- Counsel to O’Connor North America in the establishment of a joint venture with Consorcio Ara, to develop commercial real estate project across Mexico.
- Counsel to Paul Capital Management LLC in its equity investment in Metro Net, S.A.P.I. de C.V.
- Counsel to Prudential Real Estate Investors in the creation of its FIBRA known as Terrafina.
- Counsel to Southern Cross Group, in the acquisition of a 100% of Grupo Editorial Expansión, one of Mexico’s largest magazine publishers.
- Counsel to Southern Cross and Morgan Stanley in the acquisition of Multimedios
Cinemas, S.A. de C.V., and affiliates.
- Counsel to Southern Cross and Morgan Stanley in the sale of Multimedios Cinemas, S.A. de C.V., and affiliates.
- Counsel to Southern Cross Group, as controlling entity of Grupo Expansión, in the sale to MercadoLibre Mexican affiliates of 100% of the capital stock of Metros Cúbicos, S.A. de C.V., a Mexican company that operates a real estate internet and classified advertising business.
- Counsel to Southern Cross Group in the acquisition of 67% of a company holding 99.99% of the capital stock of Even Telecom, S.A. de C.V., a Mexican company specialized in the construction of telecom infrastructure and leasing of telecom towers
- Counsel to The Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited in its acquisition of a 25% interest, in a real estate development joint venture with a consortium of Mexican investors, led by Grupo Sordo Madaleno, an internationally recognized architecture and real estate development firm.
- Counsel to The O’Connor Group in the Peabody Group’s equity investment in certain high-end residential projects in Mexico City.
- Counsel to True North Venture Partners L.P., a private equity fund focused in the alternative energy sector, in connection with its investment in Celsol, S.A. de C.V., providers of energy optimization solutions under the trademark Optima Energia, and the concurrent acquisition by True North of Sinca Inbursa’s participation in Celsol.
- Counsel to UmbralCapital, S. de R.L. de C.V. and Discovery Americas I in an equity investment by Capital Group.
- Counsel to Walton Street Capital in the leverage buy-out of Pulte Mexico one of the four largest housing developers in Mexico, and the subsequent divestiture.
- Counsel to Walton Street Capital in the sale of its equity interest in housing developer, Altta Homes, S.A. de C.V.