Pedro Velasco is a partner in the Mexico, City office, where he specializes in Banking & Finance, Bankruptcy & Restructurings and Capital Markets.
He represents domestic and foreign financial institutions (including many of the major local and foreign banks), as well as corporate borrowers (including numerous private equity funds), in a wide range of secured and unsecured financings, across several industries. Mr. Velasco’s expertise includes: commercial financings, acquisition financings, real estate financings, ship financings and project finance. On the bankruptcy and restructurings arena, he represents creditors and debtors on all non-litigation aspects of complex bankruptcy and out-of-bankruptcy restructurings. His capital markets expertise includes varied cross-border debt offerings.
Mr. Velasco has been ranked as leader in Banking and Finance by many publications, including: Chambers Global: The World´s Leading Lawyers for Business, Chambers Latin America: Latin America´s Leading Lawyers for Business, The Legal 500, IFLR 1000, Latin Lawyer 250: Latin America´s Leading Business Law Firms, and Latin American Corporate Counsel Association.
Mr. Velasco has been author and co-author of several publications, including the following:
- Co-author of “Mexico: Restructuring & Insolvency”, The Legal 500 & The In-House Lawyer. Comparative Legal Guides 2017.
- Co-author of “Smoothing the Process” Insolvency and Corporate Reorganization 2016 in Americas Regional Report 2016 published by International Financial Law Review (IFLR), June 2016.
- Co-author of the “Mexico Chapter” in the Second Edition of The Transport Finance Law Review 2016, published by The Law Business Research, 2016.
- Co-author of “Testing the Amendments to the Mexican Insolvency Law” in Bankruptcy and Restructuring 2016, Corporate Livewire Expert Guide, April 2016.
- Co-author of ‘Banking and Finance-Mexico Law & Practice 2016’ published by Chambers Global Practice Guides, 2016.
- Author of “Mexico-cross border banking and finance guide”, published by Lexis PSL Banking & Finance, August 2014.
- Co-author of the “Mexico Chapter” of the Third Edition of The Restructuring Review 2010, published by The Law Business Research, 2010.
- Co-author of “Mexico Q&A”, Finance: Secured Lending 2006/2007, published by the Practical Law Company.
- Co-author of “Legislative Amendments to Secured Transactions in Mexico: Will Credit Finally Flow?” published by the Latin American Law and Business Report, June 20, 2003.
Mr. Velasco worked as Foreign Associate in the Los Angeles office of Latham and Watkins LLP in 2001 and 2002.
Mr. Velasco was born in Mexico, City, Mexico. He received his law degree (JD), with honors (academic excellence), from the Universidad Iberoamericana in 1999 and obtained his LL.M degree in International Banking and Financial Law from Boston University School of Law in 2001. He is fluent in Spanish and English.