Throughout our history the Firm has been actively involved in the development of the financial services industry in Mexico, and has established profound sector specific expertise. With the advent of technology and the exponential growth of the digital economy, our practice has naturally grown towards FinTech.
By advising host of entrepreneurs, start-ups, venture capitalists and large financial institutions and technology companies, we are able to provide clients with innovative advice and solutions in the following areas of FinTech:
- Regulatory and licensing
- Intellectual property
- Privacy and data protection
- Design of financial products and solutions across all asset classes
- Anti-money laundering
- Corporate finance transactions, including debt financings and M&A, and other transactions in the lifecycle of technology companies
Below is a list (which is organized in alphabetical order based on our client’s name) of selected matters which is intended to give a brief indication of our experience in the FinTech sector:
- Legal counsel to Bitso in regulatory consultations on financial technology, tax, corporate and other matters.
- Legal counsel to PayPal on regulatory issues regarding aggregators, consumer protection and financial technology, as well as on regulatory aspects in Mexico related to its acquisition of Hyperwallet and iZettle, as well as its investment and commercial contract with Mercado Libre.
- Legal counsel to Nubank in all the legal aspects related to its entry to the Mexican market.
- Legal counsel to Global Payments in a joint venture with HSBC Mexico for the development of its acquiring business.
- Legal counsel to Ualá in all the legal aspects related to its entry to the Mexican market.
- Legal counsel to Visa on regulatory issues in Mexico related to its acquisition of Earthport.
- Legal counsel to Visor in the lifting of its Series A, for US$7.4 million, by several institutional investors.
- Legal counsel to Minu, a company dedicated to grant advance payment of accrued salaries through a technological platform, in regulatory aspects of its operation, as well as in the raising of its seed capital round.
- Legal counsel to Incode Technologies, Inc. a provider of facial recognition services, in the use of biometric recognition technology for financial services.
- Legal counsel to Pangea, an international money transmitter, in the implementation of an international transfer scheme using cryptomoney.
- Legal counsel to General Atlantic on their investment in PayClip.
- Legal counsel to SURA in various financial regulatory aspects, including issues related to the QIIP platform.
- Legal counsel to AutoLotto, Inc. on Mexican regulatory aspects related to its Initial Coin Offering abroad.
- Legal counsel to stREITwise on aspects of the Mexican regulations related to obtaining financing through crowdfunding under Regulation A (Reg A+) in the United States of America.
- Legal counsel to Banorte in the execution and implementation of certain database related contracts with technology service providers.
- Legal counsel to Edenred in relation to the acquisition of Punto Clave and OPAM, companies focused on the issuance of pre-paid cards and, in relation to Punto Clave, counsel related to the regulation of payment systems.
- Legal counsel to IBM in the execution and implementation of technology service contracts with financial entities.
Chambers and Partners in its special Fintech guide highlights about our practice the following:
“Top-flight firm advising startups, financial institutions and technology companies on the full range of FinTech mandates. The stellar team boasts extensive expertise in advising clients on the obtainment of FinTech licences, and on the regulatory aspects of financing rounds. Additionally capable of assisting with the negotiation and execution of an array of sector-related contracts, including Banking-as-a-Service, FinTech-as-a-Service, and investment agreements.”
“They are a very successful firm because they have managed to integrate their financial regulatory expertise with longstanding experience dealing with securities and capital markets.”
“The firm stands out in the Mexican market for being a pioneer and innovator in its FinTech affairs and due to its ability to advise on regulatory matters.”